If Queen's were to organize a karate tournament the following outlines the approriate rules.
See Tournament Referee and Judges signals Tournament Referee and Judges signals
- A match shall be in principle two minutes in length running time.
- All recognized striking techniques shall be allowed.
- A match shall be deemed ended when one contestant has scored an ippon.
- In the even an ippon has not been scored, the contestant with the highest number of waza-ari shall be declared the winner.
- A contestant with a five waza-ari spread shall be declared the winner.
- In case of a tie, the match will be extended by one minute, encho-sen.
- In case of anadditional tie, a final extension will be held, sai-encho-sen. The first contestant to score shall be declared the winner,whether by waza-ari or an ippon
- There shall be only two legal target areas; head and chest.
- Contact is permitted only to the chest area covered by the bogu.
- Absolutely no contact is permitted to the head, neck, face, back or groin.
- Any contact to a non-contact area shall result in a penalty half-point. A referee does not need verification (via corner judge's consensus) for awarding a penalty point.
- To such penalty waza-ari shall result in an automatic disqualification.
- Excessive contact shall result in an automatic disqualification.
- Reasonable contact is allowed to the bogu.
- Sweeps of the leg are allowed where a matted area is available. In the event that sweeps are permitted, A mandatory follow up technique must be attempted, otherwise a single warning shall be issued for each violation.
- For stepping out of bounds, two warnings shall be issued before penalty half-points are awareded.
- A contestant may score or be scored upon if one foot is out of bounds.
- Head, groin protection and mouth guards are mandatory.
- Shin, arm, hand and foot protectors are optional.
- Disrespect to the officials or poor-sportsmanship to another competitor will not be tolerated and may result in a disqualification from the match and /or tournament. Questions regarding rules violations must follow proper procedures.
- Absolutely no jewelry is to be worn when a contestant is competing .
- For this tournament competitors shall wear a traditional solid white uniform with organization crests. Other coloured uniforms or striped uniforms are not permitted.
- White T-shirts may be worn under the gi top.
- Full uniforms must be worn at all times during the event.
- Food and drinks must be kept outside of the gymnasium.
- Absolutely no coaching from the sidelines is allowed by anyone .
- Black belts that wish to compete in shiai must also compete in kata and/or weapons competition. The converse is not required.
- Karateka must stay in the confines of their designated areas, otherwise you may miss your event.
- Proper dojo etiquette shall be followed by all Karateka.
- The tournament organizers will supply a regulation bo for the weapons competiton.